Professionally Restored George Jones Blue Tit
Majolica - Damage & Restoration
Wear and damage is to be expected. Pristine unrestored pieces are extremely rare. Many sellers do not draw attention to repairs and restoration in as much detail as we do at Madelena.
When buying don't forget to ask “Is there any damage or restoration?” Depending on how well the work is done, and the rarity of the item, any damage, and the extent and quality of any restoration will affect value.
Spotting damage and restoration
- If your eyesight is not great, use a lens and bright light.
- Damage: Look at the most vulnerable areas first.
- Restoration: Look for slight changes in color.
- Look for a disappearance of normal crazing.
- Feel for a change in texture.
- Feel for a change in hardness.